HERB - Re: Poison Ivy & It's Ilk (longish)

Roberta R Comstock froggestow at juno.com
Mon May 31 12:37:40 PDT 1999

On Mon, 31 May 1999 14:15:01 -0500 Wes & Adrienne Will
<wwill at intrnet.net> writes:

>Delurking for a quick posting on the poison ivy problem.
>For prevention, I have had to rely on some non-friendly stuff called
>"TECNU".  It comes in a little bottle, and often has a "free"
>pre-exposure lotion in the box.  Both products work very well.  Costs
about >$6.50 US for an 8-ounce container.  Expensive, but it's the only
thing I've >found in a life of searching that works well at all.  (If I
get the stuff, even
>injections of prednisone don't help any more.)
>One of the big  NO-NO's for poison ivy cleansing is DON'T WASH OFF IN
>A BATHTUB!  If you use that good ol' lye soap of Grandma's, and sit in a

>tub while washing the oils off, you will simply cause a thin layer of
the
>urushinol oil to be floating on top of the water.  When you stand up
>to get out, Presto!  You now have a thin layer of the oil spread nicely
>across a large portion of your anatomy.....Wait 2 days, and guess what
>itches?  Wash off in the shower instead.  Less chances of redepositing
the >stuff on yourself.

>Eoin Caimbeul
>and
>Rowenna de Montacute

Thanks for the excellent post!  I'll be looking for TECHNU!  And your
warning to use the shower (not the tub) for washing up after exposure is
one that hasn't been given here before.  (I've been showering so long I
can't remember my last bath.)