HERB - Projects

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Tue Nov 9 11:10:54 PST 1999

Diana wrote:
>    My problem was more the combination of the herbs with the hot rice--not
>everything works well with that scent. I ended up using either rosemary or
>lavender.

Perhaps you ended up with these because they are familiar and calming?
They may also stand up to the heat of the microwave better than most.
The more fragile leaves, I've found, do NOT stand up well to the changes
in temperature (hot to room temp). Perhaps my aversion to using herbs
in general for these bags is that, by the time I need it, I'm already
uncomfy enough that pain makes smells annoying to me. Similar to a
person suffering from a migraine, pain might be enhanced by anything
that smells like anything. At least for me, that is. *grin*

>I think I may try citrus peels if I make any more, or lemon-scented
>herbs (Or a combo)

Dried citrus peels, of course, I assume? :)

>True---but they smell *awful* to me when heated dry!

To each her own, I guess. My peas and beans dried didn't really
smell like anything. The most common ingredients I've used are
lentils (yellow, green, and red), split peas (both green and yellow),
and little white beans of a variety that were unlabeled but which
I'd carted with me through at least 7 moves and decided it was
high time they were out of my kitchen because it was obvious I
wasn't going to cook them.

>so the cheapness of the rice was attractive.

Ah, that's a good point. My source for rice alternatives typically
works out to even cost.

>And I haven't
>had problems with the rice breaking down so far, nor has my mom, who uses her
>bags constantly. Different type of rice, perhaps? *shrug*

Perhaps. Whole grain, not broken works best when you do use rice. I
like the *weight* of the rice better than peas, but about the same as
lentils. The peas seem heavier somewhat when they're on a painful
spot. Perhaps this is because of the surface area of the pea itself in
comparison to a grain of rice or a lentil. More surface area of a pea
actually has a chance of touching your skin.

>As an interesting note, though, my mother recently
>decided to wash one of her bags---rice and all!

Oh my. Well, I suppose she should check it for mold
occasionally. I still don't think I'd do it.

Thanks for the comments!

jasmine
iasmin de cordoba, gwalli at infoengine.com