HERB - Advice PLEASE!!!

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Wed Nov 17 07:19:57 PST 1999

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Aline Swynbrook wrote:
> What I am in need of is advice and information.  I
> have been suckered..er talked into lecturing my
> History Club at good old UHS on "Herbs and Medieval
> Medicines."  I have a general knowledge of this, but I
> know not how to put it into begining class form.
>
> HELP!  What I need is book recommendations, class
> plans, outlines or other information abotu how to run
> the class.  It need not be elaborate, most of the
> people probably won't be taking up the hobby, and I am
> the only Scadian in the school (to my knowledge). I
> just need a general overview.

Get yourself a copy of Rosetta Clarkson's _Magic Gardens_ and _Green
Enchantment_. These books grew out of the lady's experience in studying
herbs with her Garden Club *grin* in the early 1900's, an experience that
drove her eventually to go to Europe and do research in the original
herbals... her stuff is definitely geared toward the club crowd.

There's a _Herbs for the Medieval Household_ book from the Metropolitian
Museum that you might find useful too.

I do what I call a scratch'n'sniff demo, which you might find helpful--
bring samples of everything you are going to talk about, and pass them
around.

If you want to check out any of my class handouts, for whatever
good they'll do you:
http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/herbs/herbs.html
(ignore the last link, it isn't sca-related)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me...

"The toad beneath the harrow knows/Exactly where each toothpoint goes;
The butterfly upon the road/Preaches contentment to that toad."-- Kipling