HERB - Aline Swinbrook's request for herbal medicine resources

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Wed Nov 17 07:48:55 PST 1999

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, sandy wrote:

> best source I've found for SAFE medicinal info:
> "The Herb Book" by John Lust

I haven't found The Herb Book to be particularly helpful, since it makes a
number of outlandish claims and seems a bit out of date, not to mention it
is much more hippy/Prevention style than historical. But I know that some
people swear by it. I've been very happy with a number of other sources,
including The Complete Medicinal Herbal by Penelope Ody, when
cross-checking for medical questions. I would recommend cross checking in
at least three modern herbals (I don't count Mrs. Grieve's as one ;) for
medical contra-indications with a non-culinary herb or spice.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me...

"The toad beneath the harrow knows/Exactly where each toothpoint goes;
The butterfly upon the road/Preaches contentment to that toad."-- Kipling