HERB - Advice PLEASE!!!

Rauthulfr mwolfe at nwlink.com
Wed Nov 17 10:48:21 PST 1999

One of the interesting things in the SCA is the split between the 1600
date, which is the "official" cut off, and the 1650 date, which if I recall
came about because of a typo in a widely distributed handout.  In An Tir,
A&S accepts the 1650 terminus.  I suspect this is because we've always had
a very large late-ren crowd!   And in culinary, I've seen post 1650 sources
used, although never beyond 1670...stuff from well into the Baroque era.

The other interesting issue is that of just when the Medieval period ends.
The Renaissance, as such, begins at different times in different places if
one holds to the characterization as a distinctive shift from the mind set
of the Middle Ages.  I know of some who claim that it never really took
hold in parts of Russia for instance!  :->

At 07:01 AM 11/17/99 , Jadwiga Zajaczkowa wrote:
>Markham is a Renaissance source. He's just past period for the SCA, and
>considering the amount of repackaging and plagarism he was known to have
>committed, he's a good candidate for being considered period...

Rauthulfr Meistari inn Orthstori  (OL, MC, P-eX, Et Cetera)
An Tir Arts & Sciences Champion AS: XXXIII-XXXIV
or, non- SCA: Michael Wolfe M. A. I. S. AB-
*Practice Random Acts of Chocolate.....