HERB - Hack hack cough cough

Sara Bairrington katri4684 at surfree.com
Thu Nov 25 12:51:23 PST 1999

At 02:21 PM 11/25/99 EST, you wrote:
>Anyone know any good herbal expectorants?
>I have been chewing on garlic, ginger, and itsay/osha...this crud is not
>wanting to come up...ideas?
>Mike

Yes, Mike there are herbals out there that can help you.

An excellent help for chest coughs and an expectorant is:

Thyme and Lungwort syrup

10 g licorice juice stick
750 ml water
10 g dried lungwort leaves (excellent expectorant)
5 g dried cowslip flowers (expectorant)
5 g anise seeds (expectorant)
500 g honey

dissolve licorice in water,combine all other leaves and seeds and add to
licorice water. Steep for 10 minutes. Strain. Return infusion to pan, add
honey.  Simmer gently until honey dissolves.  Allow mixture to cool, pour
into sterilized dark glass bottles and seal with cork stoppers.

Take a 5 ml dose up to 6 times per day.

Now if you don't have the ability to make up this lovely syrup, go to your
local WalMart store.  In their herbal section find cough syrup containing
some or all of the following herbals: aniseed, cowslip, cloves, echinacea,
elecampane, fennel, hyssop, licorice, and peppermint.  Buy Honey cough
syrup and cough drops.

You should be taking echinacea in capsule form to help your immune system
to fight off the virus. 3 x 200 mg capsules 3 times a day.

You can also find chest rubs that contain , juniper, menthol and juniper
oils (or just use good old mentholatum or vicks).  Rub it on your chest,
cover with a towel and keep warm trying to inhale the vapors as your body
warms them.

Hope this helps,

Ulrike