HERB - Herbal oils by Infusion.

Rauthulfr mwolfe at nwlink.com
Fri Oct 1 14:22:47 PDT 1999

Essential plant oils can be infused into vegetable oils with relative ease.
 I prefer almond or olive oils.  With something like Peppermint I would
bruise the herb first to make it easier for the oils to blend.  Generally
the herb will be left in the oil for a few days, and after it has been
exhausted a new bunch of plants is added to the same oil.  Usually the
container is agitated a couple of times a day to make sure that as much oil
is extracted as possible.

Once you have the oils extracted out you can even make an ointment by
blending the oil with beeswax until you have the right consistency.

The essential oil of peppermint itself is generally gathered through
distillation these days.

At 11:43 AM 10/1/99 , you wrote:
>Is this the same type of steeping you do with tea? I have all kinds of mint
>and I'd love to get some mint oil.
>
>Elewyiss

Rauthulfr Meistari inn Orthstori  (OL, MC, P-eX, Et Cetera)
An Tir Arts & Sciences Champion AS: XXXIII-XXXIV
or, non- SCA: Michael Wolfe M. A. I. S. AB-
*Practice Random Acts of Chocolate.....