HERB - confession

BPack55294@aol.com BPack55294 at aol.com
Sat Oct 2 06:08:25 PDT 1999

In a message dated 9/30/99 3:44:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
gwalli at infoengine.com writes:

<< I'm worrying
 about nothing, right? >>

    I don't think the ankle problem or lack of a handout should be a basis
for people to be rude or inappropriate in a RUM class.  In fact, I have
taught and have attended classes with splendid teachers and materials, and
people were STILL rude!
    Your message brought a neccessary issue to the fore.
    RUM instructors, or instructors at any SCA class, are volunteers who are
willing and even often excited to share their knowlege and skill.  Attending
a class for the personal purpose of showing the instructor and the others in
the class how much one knows is not acceptable.  If "one" knows more than the
person teaching, then why hadn't that person volunteered to teach?  Rudely
interrupting (or even "taking over," which indeed I've seen happen) is
inexcuseable behavior.  Yet we wonder why so many individuals are now
reluctant to teach classes!
    If a person has taken the time and initiative to learn about a subject
and to perpare to teach a class and then get up in front of a room full of
people, they should be afforded respect and consideration.  To teach a class
should not require that the instructor be well versed in assertiveness.
    It would be additionally regretable if attendees abused the situation of
the instructor being at a bit of a disadvantage (the bum ankle) to behave in
a less than "chivalrous" manner.
    In Service,
    Lady Elissa

Betsy Packard