HERB - garlic questions

Mike C. Baker kihe at ticnet.com
Wed Sep 1 05:55:24 PDT 1999

Anecdotal (IOW, not based on citable reference):
The variety of garlic often referred to as "elephant" garlic in supermarkets
here in Texas/Oklahoma (and known in my family as "New Mexico giant")
is larger, milder, and possibly / probably more prolific than more
traditional
forms. It is my belief that this variety is of more recent provenance -- but
is still in essence "true garlic".

I prefer it for cooking purposes due to the larger, milder cloves.

For planting purposes, it is time NOW to start putting in the hard-shell
"sets" -- at least for TX/OK.  Which reminds me...

Mike C. Baker
SCA: Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
"Other": Kihe Blackeagle (the DreamSinger Bard)
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em