HERB - Fall planting

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Wed Sep 1 08:42:43 PDT 1999

In a message dated 08/30/1999 3:50:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Rachel.Carper at COMPAQ.com writes:

<<
 I just moved into my house in may and it's been to hectic to plant. But
 things are settling down now. Are there any fall planting, besides bulbs, I
 could do. I live in Georgia and we tend to have mild wet winters.

 Elewyiss >>
    Sure, plenty of stuff grows well in the winter here (Chattanooga, on the
Tennessee/Georgia line). Lots of fall greens are traditional, of course, and
certainly period! ;-) Ditto for other cole crops (Broccoli and such), and
some of the quickly growing root veggies, like radishes. Then lettuce,
naturally, as well as other interesting salad things, like purselane.
    On a more herbal line, fall is the time to plant skirret seeds, and Good
King Henry (OK, those are more veggies but period, at least! ;-) ), according
to the seed packets I got from Nichols. The same goes for scented violets
(Plenty of violets 'round here--but no scented ones!), and any seeds, like
Echinacea that benefit from cold stratification to help germination. And, if
you want pots of certain herbs in the house during the winter, now is the
time to start them, either from seed or cuttings.

    That's a quick listing, some of which is probably a bit different for
you, depending on just how far down in GA you are. The best idea, of course,
is to check locally for info--garden centers will be helpful, along with your
county extension agents. Have fun! :-)

            Ldy Diana
Shire of Vulpine Reach, Meridies