HERB - Heartsease and Rosemary

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Thu Sep 2 16:33:31 PDT 1999

Morna,

I don't know much about growing Heartsease, but I can make a few suggestions
on rosemary.

Most important seems to be a raised bed.  I grew several rosemary plants from
cuttings in different places around my yard, and the two plants that I put in
a raised bed in a higher portion of my yard (1/2 top soil, 1/4 compost, 1/4
aged manure) did significantly better.  In fact, less than three months after
I planted one of the rooted cuttings in that bed, it was bigger than the 2
year old parent plant, and the second plant wasn't too far behind.  At about
6 months, the two plants had rooted deeply enough that they survived 9 days
without water in the middle of August (100F+ temps) without any obvious
stress. There aren't many things I'll grow in raised beds here, it seems to
expose the roots to too much heat, but rosemary is one.

I think they prefer soil that's a bit sandy, and fertilizer from mild natural
sources like compost.  One really good soaking about once a week once a plant
is established is often enough, though in the height of summer, I shorten
that to once every 5 days.

I think you should take cuttings of the successful plant, regardless, it's
obviously a variety well suited to your conditions, and it's pretty easy.  I
have the best luck taking cuttings in the spring or fall, so-so luck in the
winter, and no success in the summer.  I don't bother with rooting compounds
for these, I just stick three or four cuttings in a six inch pot, keep them
watered for about 6 - 8 weeks, then repot the rooted cuttings separately.
While I prefer to keep my cuttings inside, they also do OK sitting outside in
partial shade.

Let us know how it goes!
Hope this helps!
Raisya