HERB - Hildegard of Bingen's Physica...

Carper, Rachel Rachel.Carper at COMPAQ.com
Fri Sep 3 12:43:44 PDT 1999

I'm trying to put together a class on period herb use in East and
CentralEurope. One source I've been considering using is Hildegard of
Bingen's Physica. The question is, of course, how widely this volume was
known and respected in the Middle ages. Hildegard comes off as bit of a
kook, but the material I've read indicates that she was considered a
prominent theologian for a while. Does anyone have any infomration on her
status as a respected medical author, or not?

I don't know if she was a respected medical author or not, but we studied
her in a couple of my history classes. If I remember correctly, and I may
not, she was known during her time.

Elewyiss