HERB - Goldenseal, and a request

Jan Ward hawksbluff at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 4 15:54:14 PDT 1999

Greetings from a lurker in Caid.
My last years copy of Richter's catalog offers seeds
and rootlets for growing Goldenseal (Hydrastis
canadensis). They say that it is difficult to raise
from seeds, often taking two winters to germinate,
that propagation by rootlets is more reliable. They
ship rootlets July-Sept. They are on the web at
www.richters.com.
Now the request:
My daughter is getting married next Saturday. I had
told her I'd read that rosemary was given to guests at
medieval weddings, that "Rosemary is for Remembrance".
She liked that idea, but she wants to put together a
sprig of rosemary with one or two other things with a
little ribbon and a piece of paper with the items and
meaning written on it as favors for her guests. I have
been digging through all my herbals, and I can't find
a listing of the "language of flowers", so if anybody
knows some others, could you just post them in the
next couple of days? We'll be leaving here Wednesday
a.m., so I need the info before then. She's not really
in the SCA, so Victorian or ancient will do as well as
our period. Thanks in advance,
Edwinna of Hawks Bluff