HERB - Garden tools

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Wed Sep 8 10:31:39 PDT 1999

For anyone who got my Carolingian Garden handout, just a couple of updates.

There was very little evidence of the tools available, but I've found that
the Romans had forks, a primitive spade, sickles, a variety of hoes, a dibber
and an odd tool called a falx.  The falx was the main tool for pruning,
particularly in viniculture, throughout the medieval period.  Most of the
tools show up in Roman tombs along the Rhine, and any of them may have been
in use in the Carolingian garden.

Also, add the book, An Illustrated History of Gardening, Huxley, Anthony, New
York:  The Lyons Press, 1998.  This is a well-researched book (reprint of a
1978 book), but there is an annoying problem of omiting details about the
illustrations, like dates and sources.  I think a used copy of the original
might be better than this one, there is a suggestion that the original
printing included color plates, which this one does not.

Raisya