HERB - Re: Beeswax

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Wed Sep 8 12:33:06 PDT 1999

Rauthulfr wrote:
>Gerard and Turner are both pretty large works

Amen to that.

I found one small Gerard reference I used for some A&S docs
that I had managed to leave here on my work machine.
Gerard specifically says about making ointments and balms
that you need to add "sufficient waxe to give it body"
(Gerard, p. 360), which amounted to roughly 1.6 ounces of
beeswax to 1 cup of oil in my case (some people may use
more or less than this).

This entry is typical of Gerard's ointmens.  As with most
other herbals and books, they simply call beeswax "wax".
In case you need it, Gerard's full citation is:

Gerard, John. Gerard's Herball (Thomas Johnson, Ed.).
Publisher: Dover. ISBN: 048623147X. c.1597/1633.

Again, let us know if you need more. I'm sure we'll be
able to find something for you.

Jasmine
Iasmin de Cordoba, gwalli at infoengine.com