HERB - Speaking of Beeswax...

Katherine Blackthorne kblackthorne at midtown.net
Wed Sep 8 20:33:34 PDT 1999

I've heard a persistant rumor for the last few years, but have no idea
if it's true.  The rumor goes like this:

"Honeybees are a European import.  Currently, honeybees here are
suffering from a "plague", in which entire hives are lost.  This is the
reason that honey/beeswax prices have gotten so high.  All honeybees on
this continent are suffering from it, and may soon be lost."

Like most rumors, there seem to be elements of truth as well as
exaggeration in it.  The people I've heard it from (several unrelated
ones, none of them beekeepers) never knew where they'd heard this,
beyond "Oh, I read it somewhere," or "Someone was telling me...."

What I was wondering is if anyone knows for certain whether more than
the first sentence is true.

--Katherine Blackthorne
Golden Rivers, Cynagua, The West