HERB - forwarded message

Ghia ghia at netherworld.com
Wed Sep 15 21:15:47 PDT 1999

Someone mentioned journals.  I think that journals are great; you can get all of
your thoughts out onto a piece of paper, no longer cluttered in your mind but
scrawled across a page.  Personally, my favorite method (which has seen me
through a lot of hard times) is to write, longhand, three pages of
stream-of-consciousness  every morning before I get out of bed.
Stream-of-conciousness writing is just what it sounds like, writing down the
thoughts as they occur to you, with NO EDITING, no revisions, no self-censoring.
Just let it all hang out.  Don't re-read it after you've written it (you may only
re-read it 6 weeks after you wrote it, and then only to see how you've grown),
and Never let anyone else read it.  The journal is a private place to dump out
all your ugly, painful, or even private happy thoughts and you should be able to
write without worrying about what others might think about it if they read it.

I recommend that it be written first thing in the a.m., every day.  First thing
because that's the only time of the day when it's really just us and our
emotions.  We are fresh from dreams (our emotions communicating to us) and
haven't yet experienced the interference of the Outside World.  In other words,
first thing in the a.m. we can think about ourselves and not our laundry.  Also,
writing first thing in the morning let's us face each day with a clean emotional
slate.  Think of it as taking everything out of the In Box and dumping it in the
trash as soon as you arrive at work.....  Doesn't it make it so much easier to
face the job?

Ghia