HERB - Old Herbals and Corks.

Nordmarc nordmarc at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 15 18:51:55 PDT 1999

Greetings all!
         Well I spent about 4 hrs. in the library that day and it was
very productive. Found Gerard's and another herbal that is 'anon' but
attributed to Bancke. Also found a great little book on bees wax. Spent
lots of time reading and making copies.

So now I have another question. Two actually. How were glass bottles and
jars sealed? I suppose what I am really asking is: were corks used?
Sorry if I'm being ignorant but I truly have no idea about the history
of cork! ( I know, I know but the library was closing....)
I keep thinking of the cover of  'Cadfeal's Herb Garden' and seeing all
those little pots covered with cloth and fastened on by string. Anyone
know what I mean? - Isrith.