HERB - Old Herbals and Corks.

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Thu Sep 16 06:20:46 PDT 1999

Rauthulfr wrote:

>As to whether other bottles were sealed with cork, well I suspect someone
>wiser than I on this list probably knows that!

When I was documenting a period ointment base for Kingdom A&S I
made strong use of illuminations and especially medical images that
exist at the United States National Library of Medicine website
available at http://wwwihm.nlm.nih.gov/

The most common closures for my researched containers (note I don't
mention glass bottles because the pictures don't indicated that) were:

- tops specifically designed for the containers (pottery or other);
- greased paper or bark fitted to the conatiner and tied with string;
- greased cloth, again tied with string; or
- a plug, possibly of rags or other substances, impregnated with wax.

Take a look through pictures. They might help you out considerably.

Cheers,

jasmine
iasmin de cordoba, gwalli at infoengine.com