HERB - Old Herbals and Corks.

Robyn Bainter robyn at Ansteorra.ORG
Wed Sep 15 21:04:37 PDT 1999

Rauthulfr wrote:
> >So now I have another question. Two actually. How were glass bottles and
> >jars sealed? I suppose what I am really asking is: were corks used?

According to my husband, who is a brewer, they did not use corks in
period.  Corks were not used until sometime between 1650-1700.
Things were often done in wooden barrels and earthen pottery before
that and for short term storage leather bottles, well at least for
brewing.  It wasn't until towards the end of period that they used
glass bottles.  At least for alcohol and vinegars, they used wooden
stoppers that didn't seal very well.  That is why they tried to make
more of a seal with wax.

Myfanwy  (and Pug)