HERB - Old Herbals and Corks.

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Thu Sep 16 07:49:23 PDT 1999

In a message dated 09/16/1999 10:11:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
RAISYA at aol.com writes:

<<
 Unfortunately, I don't know where the reference is, but in late period,
there
 was some use of corks.  I can't recall the exact details, but I believe it
 was something about corks wrapped in cord and dipped in wax?  I have no idea
 how common it was, though.

 Raisya >>
    I also don't remember the details, but cork was at least available in
Western Europe earlier than I had expected (Maybe 1300's?). It was, IIRC,
used occasionally as soles for shoes. I believe I found that info on Marc
Carlson's wonderful period shoe site, which is at:   <A
HREF="http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/carlson/SHOEHOME.HTM">Footwear of the
Middle Ages Homepage</A> . You can search there for the references, or email
him for any non-shoe uses he may have run across........

            Ldy Diana