HERB - platina and table decorations

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Thu Sep 16 08:53:58 PDT 1999

Raisya kindly wrote:

>Hm, would probably be dependent on the exact time of year and region.

Well, I'd obviously have to work with what I had. Michigan (Detroit) at
the end of April (it's a bid for Spring 2000 Coronation).

>One specific arrangement I've seen in a painting was solely
>purple irises.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to make a specific trip to the library and
look into some of the paintings. My big problem is that I'm HORRIBLE at
plant identification. I know a lot of tidbits about plants and can research
my way out of a steal box on them, but put the plant in front of me and
I'd say I have a 50/50 chance of misidentifying it unless it's specifically
growing in my garden. My by-sight identification is limited to "Poisonous,
edible, smells good/nasty, medicinal." I'm not good at identifying by
type.

*grin*

>I'd also suggest that some wild flowers and herbs are possible.

Maybe I could start some of these indoors early and see what comes to
flower before the feast...at least one person suggested something similar
when I cooked the last feast I did. Sprouts of herbs on salads and dishes
as garnishes and whatnot. I have a bad head cold right now and I'm
thinking straight, so it excapes me what plants start flowering in late
April. I think I need more herbal tea. :)

>From your quote, I'd guess that it was possible that the flowers
>were sometimes just scattered on the table rather than put in vases?

I really don't know, to be honest. Just going by Platina isn't really much
help because he never says. Just that they should be on the table. This
is another idea for research. I could start looking at feasting pics in
illuminations. I can just see myself now carrying color photocopies into
a florist or garden house. *giggle*

>Hope this gives you some ideas!

Yes, thank you!

Jasmine