HERB - platina and table decorations

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Thu Sep 16 08:40:03 PDT 1999

Iasmin

>Flowers with perfume" is what I remember, though he never says exactly which
>flowers.

Hm, would probably be dependent on the exact time of year and region.  Roses,
lillies and irises of course, also pinks, carnations, lavender, clove pinks,
violets, eglantine, rosemary, daffodil, and sweet rocket.  Drawing on Tusser,
the following are possible, but I'm not sure about their scents - bachelor's
buttons, columbine, cowslip, gillyflower (wallflower), hollyhocks, larkspur,
white narcissus, lily of the valley, pansies, snapdragons, sweet williams,
and stocks.  One specific arrangement I've seen in a painting was solely
purple irises.  I'd also suggest that some wild flowers and herbs are
possible.  From your quote, I'd guess that it was possible that the flowers
were sometimes just scattered on the table rather than put in vases?

Hope this gives you some ideas!
Raisya