HERB - Moss eradication

Wes Will wwill at siu.edu
Mon Sep 20 06:37:40 PDT 1999

>> environmentally friendly way to get rid of the moss. I have already

This ain't it.  Check your local hardware stores for the stuff you use on roofs.  It's (in some forms and brands) at least somewhat degradable.  Many are (iirc) based on cupric chloride, which is nasty and might also kill trees and other things.  Be careful.

>> tried chlorine bleach and hot water (fumes! bleh ;( )

Weeeellllll.......the "fumes" should have been your first clue.  You don't use HOT water with chlorine bleach.  Chlorine will not stay in solution at high temperatures.  What you really were putting down on the moss was slightly-salty acidic water.  The chlorine was long gone in any useful quantities.

If you want to use chlorine bleach for anything (including dirty socks and undies in the wash) use cool to mildly warm water.  (Rinse and then finish washing those undies and such in hot water.)  Otherwise the stuff is just in your nose and causing your lungs all sorts of troubles.

Eoin