HERB - Judging Vinegar

Rauthulfr mwolfe at nwlink.com
Wed Sep 22 17:28:24 PDT 1999

Forgive the tardy response, but I was asked what I looked for in judging
vinegar.  A reasonable question.

Let me explain this first by mentioning an event in which a gentle entered
some wine which they said has turned to alcohol.  Certainly a possible
thing.  The aroma was rather like a wine vinegar, however, when tasted, it
turned our to be a wine which had not turned to vinegar, it had simply turned.

By and large judging vinegar is much the same as judging any comestible
liquid.  (Although, I have yet to see judges fill their cups as full with
vinegar as I have seen done with a very good mead).

Does it have that clean sharpness which one associates with the aroma of
vinegar?
Does it taste clean, or does it have odd ancillary tastes.  (The wine which
has turned, carried with it a variety of strange un-vinegar like overtones,
old gym socks came to mind.)
Certainly it is nice to have it presented in some sort of a dish.  A
vinaigrette dressing, or some other such thing which allows its taste to
come through so that the judges can experience how it works with other
ingredients.  Or one of those refreshing Islamic vinegar based beverages
perhaps.

How it may be judged in detail will depend on the competition.  If it is a
simple one with no documentation then the process is pretty straight
forward.  Or it may be one in which everything is subject to scrutiny.  I
have participated and judged competitions at both ends of this spectrum and
lots of spots in between.

I hope this helps.  Culinary judging is not my strongest point, although in
self defense I have had to improve my skill at it.  (Folks seem to think
that Laurels who don't sew MUST do culinary!  And Kingdom A&S Champions are
expected to judge pretty much what ever categories other judges cannot be
found to cover.  At least they don't expect me to DO calligraphy!)
Judging is, however, a handy art if one is open minded.  At one competition
I learned how to appreciate stained glass from the same judge who I helped
understand herbal medicinals. (Sciences-Other is an odd bastard category at
best.)  And I've learned much from entrants who took the time to educate
their judges; and by watching the best that those folks have had to offer,
I've come to really appreciate what the SCA at its best can really be!

YIS

Rauthulfr Meistari inn Orthstori  (OL, MC, P-eX, Et Cetera)  An Tir A&S
Champion
or, non- SCA: Michael Wolfe M. A. I. S. AB-
*Practice Random Acts of Chocolate.....