HERB - recipe request

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Fri Apr 14 07:49:13 PDT 2000

Elewyiss,

I'm sorry I've been so slow on the pickle recipe, I finally dug it out:

DELIGHTES FOR LADIES - Sir Hugh Plat, 1609

"To preserve Cowcumbers all the yeere.

    You may take a gallon of faire water, and a pottle of veriuyce, and a
pinte of bay salt, and a handfull of greene Fennell or Dill:  Boile it a
little, and when it is cole put it into that pickle, and you shall keepe them
all the yeere."

This calls for veriuyce, but it's delicious with vinegar too.

There's a better 14th century recipe in "Ein Buch von Guter Spise" which WAS
on-line, but seems to have vanished in the last month, and I can't find my
copy of it!  Hopefully someone here will know where the wonderful translation
has moved to.

Raisya Khorivovna