HERB - Early menopause (long)

Walter J. Wakefield wjwakefield at juno.com
Sat Apr 15 10:57:12 PDT 2000

I have decided menopause is an on-going process - I just haven't
determined how on-going.  I started having hot flashes around age 44, but
did not stop having periods until age 48.  I am still having hot flashes,
though sometimes there will be spells of several months when I don't have
them.  Mother said she had hot flashes for over 10 years - at the time it
seemed like forever.  And several of the women in my (mundane) herb club
have commented on how irritable they have become.  Most people I know say
I have always been cranky, but it is worse now - I have *NO* patience
with general stupidity, which there seems to be more of these days.

Some of the herbs that are supposed to help include:
Dong quai [Angelica sinensis??? can't find the right book] and angelica
[Angelica archangelica].  Dong quai is a Chinese angelica - you may find
the name spelled several ways.  Both are supposed to normalize hormonal
function and help relieve hot flashes.

Wild yam, Mexican yam [Dioscorea villosa] helps the body make estrogen.
This yam is the one that estrogen, progesterone and cortisone were
originally synthesized from, as I recall.  So it is effective for many
hormonal imbalances.

Licorice root [Glycyrrhiza glabra] also provides precursors for the
body's manufacture of cortisone and other hormones, and may be useful.
However, it is prone to elevating the blood pressure, so should be used
cautiously if there is a possibility of hypertension.

Chaste tree berries [Vitex agnus-castus] is reputed to stimulate the
pituitary and normalize the functions of the female reproductive system.
Often recommended for menopausal problems.

Black Cohosh [Cimicifuga racemosa] is often recommended for normalizing
hormonal function, and is also of use in various arthritic conditions,
and is a relaxing nervine.

For the irritability, I find a mild sedative tea helps.  The formula I
use is chamomile [Anthemus nobile or Matricaria chamomilla], scullcap
[Scutellaria laterifolia or related species], vervain [Verbena
officinalis or related species], passionflower [Passiflora incarnata],
cramp bark [Viburnum opulus], and cowslip [Primula veris] (if I can find
it).  This can be used as a tea or as a tincture, and most people can use
it during the day.  Some people find it makes them too sleepy to use
except at night.

I have not been able to use the Angelica/vitex/cohosh/etc. formula I came
up with because it causes me severe periphal edema - my ankles swell up
like they have been sprained.  I found the same thing with the estrogen
my gynecologist prescribed.  So I am just putting up with the hot flashes
(no - the power surges!].  I wear short sleeved shirts and jackets, and
take the jacket off and put it on frequently.  I find that hot flashes
are sometimes followed by cold flashes.

When I had periods, I found that my PMS symptoms were consistent with
fluid retention, and I think maybe part of my irritability now is also
from the same thing.  I am using a herbal diuretic tincture off and on,
consisting primarily of dandelion [Taraxacum officinale], cleavers or
goosegrass [Galium aparine] and wild carrot or Queen Anne's lace [Daucus
carrota].

I'm sure others will have other recommendations.  It is possible that a
few of these herbs might affect the dose of your Prozac that you need.  I
wouldn't expect them to, but you should check with your doctor to be
sure.

Hope you find this useful, and good luck in your endeavors.

Suzanna, the herbalist, Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra
(Dallas, TX)

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000 23:43:33 -0500 "Carper, Rachel"
<Rachel.Carper at compaq.com> writes:
>Hello everybody. I think I'm entering early menopause. I did not save
all the advice that went out the last time someone asked for help, so I
have to ask again. I promise this time I'll keep the info.
>So, does anybody know of any herbs to help with the transition. The
biggest problem I seem to be having is the hot flashes and being really
really irritable. (I guess I should also mention I am taking Prozac.)