HERB - Period Gardening books was Re: Paradisi in Sole

Rauthulfr mwolfe at nwlink.com
Mon Apr 17 10:03:27 PDT 2000

At 09:01 AM 4/17/00 -0400, you wrote:

>Unfortunately, just so you know... Gardener's Labryrinth is out of print.
>(Which is why I haven't posted a review of it, because I was hoping to get
>a copy before y'all raided the used booksellers for the affordable copies.
>Note that Garland press did a reprint of it also, in 1992, and that's out
>of print too. snips

I hadn't realized that it ran out of print that soon!  Unfortunately I
haven't come across any microfilm copies of Hill's work, but there is also
reprint from 1939 (hopelessly out of print).  This one is more of a
fascimile edition from the 1652 printing.
The gardeners labyrinth : or, a new art of gardening / Thomas Hyll, [s.l. :
s.n.] , 1939

> > Tusser, Thomas: Fiue Hundred Pointes of Good Husbandrie. Edited (with
> > introduction, notes, and glossary) by W. Payne, Esq., and Sidney J.
> > Herrtage, ESQ., B.A., Trübner & Co., London, 1878  [1557, multiple
> editions
> > were produced]
>This is one of the classics of early agricultural writing. It is heavy
>going, not just because of the rhyming couplets but because of the way it
>is laid out, as a calendar for the year. But it's very worth looking at.

>The other book by him that I've been able to lay hands on is: _Thomas
>Tusser, 1557 floruit, his Good points of husbandry_, collated and edited
>by Dorothy Hartley. (London, Country life limited, [1931]). "In this 1931
>reprint the text of the 1571 edition has been followed. Verses from other
>editions have been inserted when they show changes. The original edition,
>1557, with title "A hundreth good pointes of husbandrie", is reproduced in
>facsimile (p. 25-48)."

This one at least ought to be available in some form in larger
libraries  as there are multiple editions Tusser's work.  Including at
least 3  available on microfilm.

Five hundred pointes of good husbandrie. By Thomas Tusser. The edition of
1580 collated with those of 1573 and 1577. Together with a reprint, from
the unique copy in the British museum, of "A hundredth good pointes of
husbandrie", 1557. Edited (with introduction, notes, and glossary) by W.
Payne, esq., and Sidney J. Herrtage, London, Pub. for the English dialect
society by Trübner & co., 1878

1573:  Microfilm A9600 1717:28
1663:  Microfilm A2791 901:32
1672:  Microfilm A2791 901:33

Another volume which has two sources used in period is:
Cato and Varro:  De Re Rustica. with an English Translation. Loeb Classical
Library, Harvard University Press, MCMLXXIX, (Trans. William D. Hooper)

These are discussions of Roman farm management.  Interesting reading.

RauthulfR Meistari inn Orthstori (OL, mCE, P-eX, Et Cetera)
or, non-SCA: Michael Wolfe M. A. I. S. AB-
*Practice Random Acts of Chocolate.....