HERB - Period Gardening books was Re: Paradisi in Sole

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Mon Apr 17 14:24:33 PDT 2000

> Another volume which has two sources used in period is:
> Cato and Varro:  De Re Rustica. with an English Translation. Loeb Classical
> Library, Harvard University Press, MCMLXXIX, (Trans. William D. Hooper)
>
> These are discussions of Roman farm management.  Interesting reading.

Another edition:

Marcus Porcius Cato, On agriculture; Marcus Terentius
Varro, On agriculture; with an English translation by William Davis Hooper
... revised by Harrison Boyd Ash ...(Cambridge, Mass., Harvard University
Press, 1934)
(Now I gotta go read it. But were Cato and Varro available to the medieval
writers?)

I also have, though I haven't read it yet (well, we're not a agricultural
library, nobody will miss it if I have it out a long time):

Fovre bookes of husbandry. Heresbach, Conrad, 1496-1576.  "Original t.p.
reads: Fovre bookes of husbandry, collected by M. Conradus Heresbachius
... Nevvely Englished, and increased, by Barnabe Googe ...  At London,
Printed by Richard Watkins, 1577. " (New York, Da Capo Press, 1971.)

Anybody know who Palladius is?
"Palladius On husbondrie. From the unique ms. of about
             1420 A.D. in Colchester Castle. Ed. by the Rev. Barton
             Lodge ... With a ryme index ed. by Sidney J.H. Herrtage ...
             Palladius, Rutilius Taurus Aemilianus. "

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
	"You wake up to realize your only friend... has never been
         yourself or anyone who cared in the end..." -- Jewel Kilcher