HERB - OnHealth herbal index

Lynette LaFontaine lklc at prodigy.net
Wed Apr 19 17:50:47 PDT 2000

------Original Message------
From: Jenne Heise <jenne at tulgey.browser.net>
To: SCA-herbalist at egroups.com, herbalist at ansteorra.org
Sent: April 19, 2000 9:12:41 PM GMT
Subject: HERB - OnHealth herbal index

This is no substitute for the Herbal PDF but it has some nice
quick-reference material, as far as I can tell. Those who have some
medical herbalism background might want to check this out  and let us know
if my estimation of its reliability is correct.

(I'm no medical herbalist. But given that I recently saw documentation for
an herbal recipe entered in a competition that claimed that all medieval
herb uses were ineffective AND dangerous, it's interesting to see the
scientific testing information.)

ALL is a pretty strong word.  To make such a sweeping statement about
something from another time of which we know so little is arrogance couched
in ignorance.  Specific recipies often did contain dangerous substances, the
doctrine of Signatures is questionable as far as effacy goes.  however, one
cannot not dismiss everythig out of hand.  Contrary to popular belief (I
believe) we are no more intelligent nor evolved than the midevielle person.
There knowledge and wisdom was far reaching.