HERB - Echinacea question (was bug bites)

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Thu Apr 27 05:42:15 PDT 2000

> The echinacea preparation that is most commonly used is the ground root,
> and other than inhaling the dust from a broken capsule, the root is not
> usually the part of the plant that causes allergic reactions.  Echinacea
> is a member of the compositae family, and is related to such plants as
> black-eyed Susans, sunflowers, daisies, asters, chamomile, and goldenrod,
> among others.  Allergies to any of the other pollens might indicate a
> cross allergy to echinacea pollen, but again, the flower is not often
> used in medicinal preparations.

I'm not the person who asked the question, but I do remember reading quite
recently (sorry, don't know where-- possibly an issue of Herb Quarterly?)
that people with allergies and asthma were supposed to stay away from all
compositae. I suspect that is where the idea comes from?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
	"Oh it's all too much, too grim, too lovely, too -- how should
	I put this? It's general chaos." -- Edward Gorey