HERB - sources for essential oils

Gaylin J. Walli gwalli at ptc.com
Tue Aug 22 05:19:34 PDT 2000

Melandra asked:

>I am currently looking for sources for good, but hopefully on the
>inexpensive side, essential oils for soap and cosmetic making - if anyone
>knows of some, please let me know!!  I also am looking for a source for
>alkenet root for someone else on my soapmakers list.

By far the best source of essential oils for the price, in my opinion,
is Liberty Natural Products. This site, however, has a minimum
order (one not too unreasonable I think). I have ordered large and
small quantities from them in the past and been pleased. They also
are the place from which I order my bulk soap making supplies
such as coconut oil, so perhaps that is why I don't find the minimum
order too onerous. You can find them on the web at

    http://www.libertynatural.com/

Another good source for basic essential oils and fragrance oils is
my ever-favorite spice dealer, Atlantic Spice and it's sister company
San Francisco Herb. My local herb guild orders from them on a
regular basis and we've never had reason for complaint. Each of
these companies has a minimum order policy as well. For those of
you east of the Mississippi, consider ordering from:

    http://www.atlanticspice.com/

For those of you west of the Mississippi or outside the North
American Continent:

    http://www.sfherb.com/

Another company to consider ordering from is the Essential Oil
company. I have not ordered from them in the past nor have I
friends who have ordered from them (locally, we club together
and order from the above sources because the prices are
consistently much better). However, if you need to order oils
and don't want to deal with a minimum order, you may want to
consider this company as an alternative as they only charge
5$US for orders under 50$US. You can find them on the web at:

    http://www.essentialoil.com/

Hope this helps. There are tons more sources on the Web,
but sometimes there appear to be too many. Perhaps these
few will help you out.

Jasmine

Iasmin de Cordoba
iasmin at home.com or gwalli at ptc.com