HERB - Re: herbalist V1 #487--Linen Waters

fplecki@juno.com fplecki at juno.com
Tue Aug 22 12:54:08 PDT 2000

I ran the question regarding "linen waters" past my mother and her older
sister, who have memories of the days before permanent press and steam
irons.  So far, I've gotten this from my mom, which I thought you might
find interesting.  I, too, thought ironing linens was over the top, but
missed the obvious reasons.  BTW, Alice is my sister--younger, but very
knowledgeable.  No, I don't (yet) know what a mangle is.

Leah, Outlands
mailto:fplecki at juno.com

My mother ironed sheets, perhaps because they felt better that way.  That
was before fabric softeners.  Alice says that it was often done because
it killed head lice.  We got a mangle when I wasn't very old, and I
ironed linens - sheets, tablecloths, napkins, pillowcases, dishtowels.
They don't take as much storage space.  You didn't iron one thickness at
a time with the mangle (or probably by hand), but folded them and did two
or more layers at a time.