natural /=/ hypoallergenic Re: HERB - Re: cornstarch

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Wed Aug 23 11:04:48 PDT 2000

> cornstarch.. besides the obvious drying properties, but also was told that
> it is a natural product, therefore hypoallergenic.

Just a clarifying point....
Something that is natural (or even 'organic', that is, coming from
something that once lived, since talc is natural but not organic) is not
necessarily 'hypoallergenic', that is, "Having little tendency to cause an
allergic reaction specially prepared or treated so as to cause no reaction
in persons allergic to the normal product."

I suspect that someone was using the term 'hypoallergenic' in the
cosmetics sense, meaning that it is less likely than other COSMETIC
preparations to cause allergic reaction. So 'body powder made from
cornstarch' may be less likely to cause a reaction than 'body powder made
from talc'. Or corn starch out of a box intended for human consumption,
being unadulterated, probably is less likely in the average person to
cause a reaction than commercial body powders to which scents and other
additives may have been added.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net

"They do not preach that their God will rouse them a little before the
	nuts work loose.
They do not preach that His Pity allows them to drop their job when
	they damn-well choose. " -Kipling, "The Sons of Martha"