HERB - Re: Rice flour/Bean flour/Cornstarch

Gaylin J. Walli gwalli at ptc.com
Wed Aug 23 11:32:40 PDT 2000

Isrith wrote:

>Hmmm..... what about bean flour? Hildegard mentions it in her "Physica". She
>recommends using flour made from broad beans (fava beans) to treat skin ulcers
>and scabies.

DING! That's one of the ones I was looking for! Bean flour! Thanks!
They used bean flour paste as part of a treatment for broken bones
too, IIRC. That in combination with cloth bandages, I think. I looked
some of this up a while ago when I was looking into "Icky Things:
The Nastier Side of Period Medicine." :)

>By the way, how do you make flour from broad beans? Someone told me I had to
>boil them first, but that just didn't sound right for some reason.

Dry them and grind them in a mortar I would suspect. I don't know
why you'd need to cook them first.

jasmine

Iasmin de Cordoba
iasmin at home.com or gwalli at ptc.com