HERB - Info on Glyercine & Camphor

Betty Braaksma ebeatrix at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 23 12:05:06 PDT 2000

Greetings, good gentles,

Well, since I'm out of lurk mode for the moment, and we're discussing skin
remedies, I have a question which I've been meaning to ask for a while.

For really chapped skin, my parents used to make a hand lotion out of a
mixture of glycerine and spirits of camphor (about 1 part camphor spirits to
2 parts glycerine). It's a recipe they brought with them from the
Netherlands.

I tried it a while ago myself after a bout of gardening really messed up my
hands, and it works beautifully. It does smell strange, though.

My question is: has anyone heard of such a concoction before? I'm familiar
with glycerine & rosewater of course, but haven't run across this particular
mixture in any literature. Would it be remotely period? Is it even safe to
use? Some home remedies have rather doubtful safety records.

Any insight would be appreciated.

in service,

Berengaria of Outremer