HERB - Re: cornstarch vs talc

Walter J. Wakefield wjwakefield at juno.com
Wed Aug 23 20:19:36 PDT 2000

When I first saw information on possible health hazards of talc,
especially in sensitive areas, it was due to concerns about possible
asbestos contamination in the talc.  Apparently asbestos occurs naturally
in conjunction with talc in some cases, and no attempt was being made to
remove it.  I am not enough of a geologist to say how true it is that
they occur together, and I do not know if the refining process has been
improved in recent years.

I have always thought cornstarch was smoother and more moisture absorbent
anyway.  If you want to dress up your cornstarch, put it in the blender
(tightly! covered) with a bit of essential oil or powdered herb and blend
for a few minutes.  Peppermint comes to mind for summer's heat - use your
imagination.  Add some baking soda for odor absorbency, too.

Of course, if one is allergic to corn and corn starch, as a friend of
mine is, I would recommend caution, especially on broken skin.  I have
not heard of an allergic reaction to topically applied cornstarch, but it
could happen....

Just my two cents worth....

Suzanna, herbalist, Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra (Dallas,
TX)