HERB - Re: talc, was cornstarch

Helen Highwater lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 24 00:12:13 PDT 2000

>  > What would have been used in Period in place of/ before cornstarch?
>
>Powdered orris root, powdered calamus (sweet flag) root, rice flour...
>
>Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net\

However, in my herb studies, i've read that orris root can cause
dermatitis (skin inflammation) in sensitive individuals. I have made
a body powder containing cornstarch, baking soda, and orris root
powder and had no trouble with in. But before you make it and use it
somewhere sensitive, test it on the sensitive skin "inside" your
elbow, that is, where it bends inward. If you get a rash, don't use
orris root.

Anahita Gaouri al-shazhiyya bint-abd' al-Karim al-hakim al-Fassi
aka Lilinah

(no, Helen Highwater isn't my name, just what a friend called me
because i'm, errr, feisty)