HERB - Re: talc, was cornstarch

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Thu Aug 24 14:25:06 PDT 2000

> However, in my herb studies, i've read that orris root can cause
> dermatitis (skin inflammation) in sensitive individuals. I have made
> a body powder containing cornstarch, baking soda, and orris root
> powder and had no trouble with in. But before you make it and use it
> somewhere sensitive, test it on the sensitive skin "inside" your
> elbow, that is, where it bends inward. If you get a rash, don't use
> orris root.

Yup. ANYTIME you make something new, or give someone something new, test
it out first. (One of the funniest allergic reactions I had was to some
detergent made for people who were sensitive to detergent additives, which
I had carelessly left in the trunk of the car during a hot week. When I
started using the stuff, it took me about a week to realize that the
itchy-creepy-crawlies I was experiencing were actually a reaction to the
detergent...) I also know someone who gets stomach trouble from rosemary,
and rosemary is supposed to HELP with stomach troubles...

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net

" Oh, Adam was a gardener, and God who made him sees
That half a proper gardener's work is done upon his knees,
So when your work is finished, you can wash your hands and pray
For the Glory of the Garden, that it may not pass away!" -- Kipling