HERB - Rush lights

BPack55294@aol.com BPack55294 at aol.com
Tue Dec 5 13:48:12 PST 2000

    I don't do the "kingdom" thing anymore.  The very inhospitable political
climate of the Southern Oaken Region of the Midrealm, as well as repeated
violations to several laws related to civil rights and the rights of persons
with disabilities encouraged me to play in an other time zone some time back!
 So, now I do 18th C., and am with a splendid group which has consistently
resisted affiliating with any of the parent groups!  (That isn't at all
unusual in the 18th C. stuff.)
    We will be doing a Winter Camp sometime after Christmas (yes, we REALLY
do the authenticity thing, wrapping up in many layers of wool, etc.  No nylon
tents, no modern sleeping bags, etc.), and I would love to use the rush
lights there.  We even do it in primative areas under private ownership, so
there are no "modern facilities."  We want to experience to the best of our
abilities the lives of the white folks who were settling the Kentucky
territory in the later quarter of the 18th C.  Naturally, we do follow some
sound sanitation measures! <G>  Not so into authenticity that we want to
experience dysentery.
    I used to think an SCA encampment was cool, even been to Pennsic a few
times, but NOTHING has come close to the experiences I've had doing my 18th
C. stuff.  It is indeed like I stepped into the Revolutionary War on the
Kentucky frontier.  I hang with some pretty hard core folks, several of the
guys are in the AMMA, so I've got the best of teachers right at hand.  Once
you've gone this far into authenticity, going back to "frolic in the
farbiness" just doesn't have much appeal.
    So, on with the rush lights, and the betty lamps too (which we already
have!)
    your most humble and obedient servant,
    Betsy Packard
    The Painted Stone Settlers, Inc.