HERB - FW: [Norsefolk] thorn needles, was Bone needles

Sue Rogers wjwakefield at juno.com
Wed Dec 20 22:10:28 PST 2000

In Anstoerra and neighboring kingdoms (Texas and surrounding areas) we
have several leguminous trees with BIG thorns - mesquite, honey locust
and black locust.  These are related to mimosas and such other plants as
vetch.  The thorns are up to 3 inches long and very straight.  I had the
impression that the thorns were similar to hawthorn, but I am not sure of
that.

I have made needles from these, just by drilling a hole in the fat end
and smoothing it off some.  No other processing.  I have used the needles
for sewing up bags in handwoven fabric (woven like burlap, ie loosely).

The only documentation I have on history of needles, so far, is Sylvia
Groves "History of Needlework Tools and Accessories".  In it she says
needles have been made from [among other things] fish bones, thorns,
ivory, antler, silver and gold.  But she does not back up her assertions.
 And I have not had time to do more digging for doc lately.

Suzanna, herbalist, Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra (Dallas,
TX)