HERB - FW: [Norsefolk] thorn needles, was Bone needles

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Thu Dec 21 11:19:04 PST 2000

>>There is a tree is the south (US) that is commonly known as "horse apple".
It is actually a beau d' arc or bodock.  The apples are not edible - have
some insecticide qualities, but the tree is very thorny and the wood very
hard - used for bows and fence posts.  The thorns grow several inches long
and could be used as needles.   Don't know if they grow in your area, but
are common  here in Mississippi.  Hope this helps.  JS>>

       Huuuuummmmm.......... That *sounds* like it might be something also
known as Osage Orange, which has fruits that are light green,
baseball-to-softball sized, and bumpy, like an exaggerated version of a
citrus fruit skin. The Osage Orange is also known as bowdock as it is
considered by many to be the finest wood to use for making bows. However,
Osage Orange is strictly native to this side of the pond, best I recall, so
it wouldn't have been a candidate for the period plant in question.
       And yes, the fruits are indeed reputed to deter creepy-crawlies, so I
always have my dad pick up some for me if he finds them while hunting in the
fall. They at least *seem* to reduce the cricket populations a tad! ;-)

                          Diana, who needs to replace the fruits from last
year with the current batch sitting out on the porch