HERB - name this herb?

Rauthulfr mwolfe at nwlink.com
Thu Jan 6 21:58:10 PST 2000

This may help you out!

From: [Banckes Herbal] Anonymous: An Herbal [1525], Edited & Transcribed
into Modern English With an Introduction by Sanford V. Larkey, M.D., &
Thomas Pyles, Scholars’ Facsimiles & Reprints, New York, 1941

Artiplex domestica (Arrach: Atriplex hortensis
This herb a Triplex domestica, men call it orage or Medollus.

: "Medollus." Meedles is not in NED, but Gerard’s herbal
(ed..  T.  Johnson, 1633), "supplement or appendix unto the general table,"
has "Meedles for Arage (orach)." 1.  Wright’s Dialect Dictionary has melda,
with apparently the same meaning; cf.  Ger.  Melde.  We use the form found
in Gerard, as closer to the Banckes "medollus." Cf.  also O.  Cockayne,
Leechdoms, Wortcunnng, and Starcraft of early England (London, 1864), III,
338, s.v.  melde: "Spelt meedle in Gerard as if the vowel were long."
Perhaps meddles would be a plausible modernization.  The word also occurs
in gloss.  Cited by Cockayne with spelling medeles.  Askham omits the word,
perhaps because of its unfamiliarity.

At 01:07 PM 12/31/99 , you wrote:
>Master Demetrios of An Tir wrote: " I have been translating a 12th Century
>Byzantine  Poem out of German.  I have been
>getting some help from a student in Germany, but neither she nor I can figure
>out what a word is in English.  In German it is GARDENMELDE and it is in the
>middle of a list of herbs and spices which every (upperclass) home should
>have on hand.  We have been to all the dictionaries we can find and she has
>even consulted a student in Botany, but zero luck.  I thought that you might
>have some professional contacts who might be able to help out.  I'd
>appreciate anything you can do.  Thanks. "
>
>I'll ask my "professional contacts," oh herbalist subscribers, but I think
>this is one for you-all
>
>Agnes

RauþúlfR Meistari inn Orþstóri (OL, MC, P-eX, Et Cetera)
An Tir Arts & Sciences Champion AS: XXXIII-XXXIV
or, non-SCA: Michael Wolfe M. A. I. S. AB-
*Practice Random Acts of Chocolate.....