HERB - Edema Help

Walter J. Wakefield wjwakefield at juno.com
Mon Jan 10 19:23:10 PST 2000

Definitely continue to work with the doctor to determine the cause of the
edema - as mentioned, some can be serious.  However, I have found several
herbs to be useful in relieving the edema I get periodically.  Wild
carrot (Queen Anne's lace), gravel root, bearberry (uvi-ursi), and
cleavers (goose foot) are traditional diuretics.  But one of the best, in
my opinion, is dandelion root, which has the advantage of providing
supplemental potassium, so you don't get the potassium depletion common
with many diuretics (including some prescription ones).  Also, the leaves
can be eaten fresh in salads (combine with other greens, as the taste may
be a bit strong), or cooked up like greens (spinach, mustard, collard,
etc.).  Additionally, apple juice and celery are both mildly diuretic.
Hope your mother gets better soon.

Suzanna, the herbalist