HERB - Leech Book of Bald

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Mon Jan 31 11:03:15 PST 2000

At least two of my sources mention a manuscript called 'The Leech Book of
Bald'. (Rohde's _The Old English Herbals_ and Clarkson's _Green
Enchantment_). It was a Saxon manuscript, supposedly, dating from 900-975
AD.

However... I was reading along in _Puck of Pook's Hill_ and the mention of
_The Leech Book of Bald_ was footnoted by the editor. She says, "No
surviving Scandinavian or Anglo-Saxon leech-book, or medicinal hand-book
is attributed to Bald."

Is she making an obscure point, is she just ignorant, or has the
Leech-Book of Bald been discredited since Clarkson and Rohde wrote?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me...

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head -- that's assault,
not leadership." Dwight D. Eisenhower