HERB - period wedding flowers

RAISYA@aol.com RAISYA at aol.com
Mon Jan 31 17:24:07 PST 2000

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa,

>In the SCA, the only people allowed to wear chaplets of roses are members
>of the Order of the Rose (former royal consorts). It's part of the small
>number of society-wide sumptuary rules as confirmed by Laurel. I happen to
>think it's a silly rule, but you might want to be aware of it.

Um, are you certain of your information on this?  I've NEVER heard this
before, and it certainly doesn't appear in the Bylaws or Corpora.  I'd really
appreciate information on what document this does appear in?  Are you certain
this isn't a kingdom sumptuary law or perhaps a heraldic restriction of the
use of chaplets of roses in heraldry?  I've found that even the definition of
things like a knight's belt varies a lot from kingdom to kingdom.

Frankly, I'd be pretty appalled to discover that there _was_ such a
society-wide sumptuary law.  Making and wearing chaplets of roses, was so
common at times that it was a symbol of maidens and young women of all
classes, and frankly, restricting something this universal would genuinely
reduce our historical accuracy.

Raisya