HERB - Re: mulberry weeds

dwilson dwilson at nbnet.nb.ca
Mon Jun 26 13:57:55 PDT 2000

  Yes be careful with exotics.  We have a problem here with purple
loosestrife choking out all other forms of life in some waterways.  As there
are no local predators to keep this introduction in check.
  I bring seeds to the local strip mines (I hunt for minerals and fossils
there) and I am very careful about what seeds I gather to do this.  I can
recognise local flora that pre-dates European introductions.  Mountain ash,
not European ash for example. I gather this type of seed and bring it here.
http://members.xoom.com/wendysweb2/D&Jmining/
 I believe in bio-diversity.  Every little bit helps.
  And having said that,  I see road builders using hay for erosion control
along the highway that will introduce all kinds of foreign plants.  I
collect Meadow sweet along the highway and that is an European introduction.
Sheepstealer