HERB - recipe request

Magdalena magdlena at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 5 15:00:04 PST 2000

Shannon Brophy wrote:

> I tasted a lemon syrup made from  a medieval cookbook that everyone has
> heard of (not me though). The woman put some in her water and it was quite
> tasty.
>
> I wonder if you know the cookbook/and especially the recipe? Is this
> cookbook on-line?
> Shannon

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Cariadoc's Miscellany has a syrup
of lemon right after the syrup of pomegranate right after the syrup of
sekanjabin.  ;>  Actually, I usually use the syrup of lemon from Martha
Washington, which is not online.

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/drinks.html#5

Martha Washington S236

To Make a Sirrup of Leamons

Take leamons & cut them in halves & wring out all the Juice betwixt your
fingers, that it may be as clear as you can. Then take to a pound of Juice,
which is a pinte, A pound & a quarter of hard sugar, which is very white, &
boyle it to a sirrup.

To Make a Sirrup of Roses

Take a good quantety of damask rose leaves & pull them, then set a gallon of
water on the fire (let it be running water), & when it is hot, put in the rose
leaves. & when they look white, take them out againe.  Change them thus 10
times, & then the water will be red.  Then strayne them out very clear, & take
to every pinte of that liquor, the white of an egge & a pounde of sugar &
clarefy it, and boyle it to a sirrup. The thicker it is, the better it will keep
all the year.

* NOTE damask rose leaves refers to the petals.  Another recipe specifies
snipping the white tips off.

-Magdalena (who is doing syrups for Gulf War)