HERB - Detox (long)

Walter J. Wakefield wjwakefield at juno.com
Wed Mar 15 21:29:36 PST 2000

These are notes from a program on cleansing and detoxifying from several
years ago at my mundane herb club (North Texas Herb Club).  I do not
remember who gave the program, but there was a lot of good information.
Here is what I wrote down.  I recommend you research any herbs mentioned
before you decide to use them.  And see my notes and comments at the end.

Digestion - don't combine starches and proteins.  eat fruit separately.
drink fluids separately (they dilute the digestive juices).  chew a lot.
Health begins with digestion.  To cleanse the system, start with the
bowel.

Bowel formulae (to be used 3 weeks to 3 months) - bulking laxative -
psyllium; stimulant laxative - cascara or senna.
1) butternut, barberry, psyllium, licorice, cascara, Turkey rhubarb,
fennel, ginger, cayenne, Irish moss
2) (Dr. Christopher's formula) cascara, Turkey rhubarb, lobelia, golden
seal, fennel, ginger, barberry, raspberry, cayenne
3) (a stronger, more severe formula, mostly because of the senna?) senna,
fennel, ginger, papaya, lemon balm, parsley, calendula, hibiscus,
peppermint
4) (a more gentle formula) peppermint, comfrey, marshmallow, ginger, wild
yam, lobelia, slippery elm, bois de arco (pronounced bodark), aloe powder

Liver formulae - milk thistle seed stimulate regeneration
1) dandelion, yellow dock, watercress, bois de arco, hyssop, red sage,
licorice, milk thistle, hibiscus, Oregon grape
2) beet, milk thistle, Oregon grape, wild yam, yellow dock, licorice,
ginkgo, barberry, gotu kola, ginger, wild cherry (for the kidneys),
dandelion
3) (Dr. Christopher) barberry, wild yam, cramp bark, catnip, peppermint,
ginger

Kidney/bladder - sea vegetables, lemon juice, vinegar
1) (Dr. Christopher) buchu, uvi ursi [bearberry], juniper [berries?],
parsley, cramp bark, golden seal, marshmallow
2) (Chinese/Indian) honeysuckle, sarsaparilla, licorice, yellow dock,
forsythia, echinacea, ginger, golden seal, cinnamon

Blood - red clover
1) red clover, hawthorne, nettles, sage, alfalfa, horsetail, milk
thistle, gotu kola, yerba santa, lemon grass, bois de arco, echinacea
leaf [usually the root is used]
2) (Dr. Christopher) red clover, licorice, chaparral, burdock, bois de
arco, echinacea, golden seal, kelp, alfalfa, dandelion, sarsaparilla,
yellow dock, milk thistle, buckthorn, garlic, butternut, ginger

All around cleansing and detoxifying
1) yarrow, mullein, chickweed, black cohosh, alfalfa, marshmallow,
scullcap, ginkgo
2) cascara, fennel, senna [strongly laxative]
3) cleavers, milk thistle, aloe gel, dandelion, burdock, ginger, slippery
elm, echinacea, psyllium, yellow dock, sarsaparilla, golden seal

[notes- FDA says comfrey is not safe to use internally.  There have been
questions about the safety of lobelia - high doses not recommended.
Chaparral has also had questions raised about its safety - do not use
large doses, and do not use if there is any kidney or liver problem.
Licorice can raise the blood pressure.  Golden seal should not usually be
used for more than 2 - 4 weeks in a row - it is very strong.  I don't
know what Turkey rhubarb is.  Don't use echinacea more than about 6 weeks
at a time - it may depress the immune system if used longer.]

[comments - I would start with herbs that are mentioned in more than one
of the formulae.  I personally tend to favor dandelion, milk thistle,
fennel, dock, echinacea, red clover, burdock, ginkgo, alfalfa, garlic as
good places to start.  Ginger, cayenne are stimulants.  Scullcap is a
sedative, and cramp bark is a muscle relaxant.  Comfrey, marsh mallow,
slippery elm, Irish moss are soothing and emollient.   Licorice, wild yam
help the body manufacture hormones such as cortisone and estrogen.
Psyllium, senna and cascara are laxative; cleavers is a diuretic.
Psyllium is also a fiber source and is sometimes added to high fiber
cereals.]

I would assume most of these formulae are made up as teas or put up in
capsules.  Given the taste of some of the herbs, I would opt for capsules
if possible.  Many of the cleansing and digestive herbs are the bitter
herbs.  At any rate, this should give you plenty of ideas to follow up
on.  And as previously mentioned, lots of water!

Suzanna, the herbalist, Barony of the Steppes, Kingdom of Ansteorra
(Dallas, TX)