HERB - Spices anyone?

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Mon Mar 20 22:01:40 PST 2000

At 10:55 PM 3/20/00 -0500,GypsyRomany at aol.com said something like:
>All right!
>Thanks!
>I'm going to go for an apple tart/pastery of some sort...but all period
>spices will come in handy at some point! :)
>
>Antonia Marin
There is a cookbook online that is converted from a work done in 1553 by
Sabrina Welserin (Cariadoc has worked on it). You can find it at:
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Medieval/Cookbooks/Sabrina_Welserin.html

But, in it, she has two different apple tarts.

74 An apple tart

Peel the apples and take the cores cleanly out and chop them small, put two
or three egg yolks with them and let butter melt in a pan and pour it on
the apples and put cinnamon, sugar and ginger thereon and let it bake.
Roast them first in butter before you chop them.

75 Another apple tart

Peel the apples, slice them and roast them, cut the cores cleanly out. Chop
them small beforehand and put beef marrow thereon and grated bread crumbs.
Stir it together well, stir into it also cinnamon, sugar and raisins and
let it bake.

--All in all I like the first one better than the 2nd. They simmer the
apples/spices first, then put them in the crust and bake.

Regards,
Maggie MacD.